Saturday, December 8, 2012

Isiphephelo



I know I talk more about my job with MSP than I do about Isiphephelo. That is because there is not a lot of exciting stuff happening right now as we are still just working hard to sort out all the boring things that need to happen before  Isiphephelo can open. One super exciting this is that the home we purchased in July is almost completely renovated. All other logistics have been handled as far as they can be for now. I have cried and yelled and laughed and threatened to through a shoe in the past couple months because navigating the bureaucratic systems here will make any sane person nuts and I am not always sure I am sane to begin with!

Despite the nonsense, the project is on track and once renovations are completed the Department of Social Development will come and approve us to provide short-term residence to 18 children. Considering how far the project has come and how little there is left to do, I do not feel it is in the best interest of the project (or my sanity - it is hard on my heart to be getting paid to do very little) for me to come back in January. If it is necessary in early 2012 for me to return to sort out registrations or plan the launch or flush out challenges that arise in the input process, I will. Also, my role with MSP was to set it up and hand management over - I can do that as well in December and have informed the board and our partners that I will not be returning in January.

I am very proud of what we have accomplished with Isiphephelo and I know it will continue to act as an important institution long into the future. I am happy Zama and Xoli have been involved from the early stages and that they will be there to carry the work forward. I does break my heart a little bit that I won't be there on the day we officially open (although Xoli and Sofi have already been working to defend children), but I know it is time for me to return to the states.